View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 03:06 AM   #6
mr48chev

Re: Bought a 1950 GMC considering frame swap.

Another vote for keeping the original frame unless it is in too bad of shape to make it worth keeping.

I have no issues if you bought a cab on a pallet and don't have a frame or if you drug home a 1-1/2 ton or larger to use the cab in your build or if the frame you have is junk for anyone of a hundred reasons.

I do object to the concept that says " I just bought this AD truck that has a nice frame but I am going to scrap it and put an S-10 frame under it to be a cool guy and because the guys down at the spit and whittle club said it is cheaper than modifying my frame.
I've seen too many pretty nice trucks hacked up to stick an S-10 frame under them and then abandoned when the guy trying to do it gets in over his head. To do it right either takes following the directions of a couple of our members and making proper body and cab mounts or buying a 1500 dollar kit that just blew any idea of saving money.

Then we get into legalities. Unless you buy an S=10 with a title or buy the frame with a proper receipt from a wrecking yard you run the risk of having a frame from a stolen vehicle. All you need is to take your truck in for inspection to get a title and loose the truck because that great deal on a rolling frame off FB market place involved the frame from a stolen truck. Plus you need proof that you indeed legally own that frame. I've got a feeling that in the next few years we will hear some real crying from guys who bought a truck with a title that matches the cab in one state and gets nailed to the wall when they take the truck to another state to get it inspected and the frame numbers don't jive with the cab number and they don't have the truck properly documented.

As far as suspension options there are several viable ones for the front and or for the rear. The MII crossmembers at several levels. Jag XJ and it looks like that Steve finally has his AD crossmember for Dodge Dakota pieces available now. The price of the crossmember sounds a bit spendy But when you see the photos you can tell it is built plenty serous and stout. https://www.industrialchassisinc.com/

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote