View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #19
mr48chev

Re: Bought a 1950 GMC considering frame swap.

MPC and I run real close to being on the same line on the same page in this thing.

As I have said before I don't have an issue when guys do as Joedoh said he often has done. Start with a cab and no frame and build from there.

I've done the front clip subframe and while the truck drove great and my 51 Merc drove great you end up hacking up the front end inner sheet metal a bunch to get the clip to clear the frame and A arms.

What get my goat and I see it all the time on FB is that a guy buys a real nice running and driving 3100 with a solid frame and drives it home and lifts the body off the chassis to stick it over on a worn out 250 thousand mile S-10 frame that he paid 1000+ for the S=10 paid 1500+ for the kit and then has to spend 500 to 1000 rebuilding the S-10 chassis and then brags how he saved money over buying a decent front and rear suspension kit. Half of those guys get rid of the S-10 rear springs and go to a 4 link and bags anyhow. I saw one guy who had close to 5 K in the S-10 swap including having the frame powder coated.

On the other hand I was out looking at my stuff contemplating what I could do to put together a truck that I can take to Victoria BC next July for an event that I am already registered for. I may end up sticking the less than wonderful 48 Cab on my old frame and doing some repair work to it and putting either the MII or Jag front end I have under it. I know I am not going to have time to build the stretched, chopped and sectioned cab that I want to . An S-10 chassis would be a viable solution on this one.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote