View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Fuel injection and fuel economy

On my truck I can get 18 maybe 19 mpg cruising the highway at 75-80 with a constant afr between 13.3 to 14.0. The last few weeks I have had to make quite a few 200 mile drives to go get stuff, and visit family. All in the high desert so I have to go over the Cajon pass, or the one on the 14.

My truck in a smog legal built 383 LT1, with a .500 lift 206 duration cam roughly, 10.7-1 cr, afr 195 heads, and backed by a TH700r4. My truck is a C10 rcsb stepside with 30x9.50r15 AT tires, and 4.88 gears in the 12 bolt.

So I was quite surprised by the highway mileage. When before hand I would of bet the farm on 12-13 mpg.

What really got me was my 5 maybe 8 mpg city. I have tried several different tunes to try to get it up more. Yes that is what she said. Although currently I am stopped by pinging at 2250 rpm due to load on the engine with its high dynamic compression ratio. So I leave it rich to keep the engine happier. I know of I could lean the carb out another jet or two. It would improve, but not by that much as I am basically still on the idle circuit buzzing around town. Where my highway afr is good, and everything is happy. Namely me at $5 a gallon 91 octane.

My job is 7 miles from where I live, and it is alot easier to take streets. I only idle the engine 30 seconds to build a oil pressure then I go on my way. Besides the crap mpg city. This truck runs awesome for what I do.

So would fuel injection. Either something like Holleys stealth tbi, or some sort of custom port set up add up to better mpg?

I am seriously reconsidering this as I want a 4L80e to back my engine, and why not have a complete package.

As I plan to keep my truck till I die as I feel 35 again when I drive it. Plus I would like a bit better afr control.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote