View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #120
CSHADES

Re: Rebuilding my 1977 plow truck

update on plow truck. it has been about 5 years of plowing since the rebuild with some other updates along the way. unfortunately even with every effort to stop the rust in this state i found myself and the truck starting to lose the battle again. i had a guy stop during the summer with a new business in the area that does fleet rust protection, basically oiling the truck with some secret formula for rust protection that will stop rust from getting worse. so i figured for $180 it was worth a try so we will see. I also went to the tire dump the other day and the plow truck quit on the way back. after doing a bit of diagnosis i discovered it had no fuel at carb, disconnected fuel line at pump, hooked pump to fuel can and started right up. old solenoid style fuel valve decided that 44 years was long enough and it was time to retire. of course as most of you know that exact part is no longer available. so i ordered up a new style valve and switch. i also had a look at the exhaust leak that i thought was a donut failure on the right side and looked at the stiff steering that i assumed was a failed axle joint in the front. well my friends never assume anything is going to be as easy as you think. The valve bolts were rusted solid to the valve, the exhaust manifold right side was broken between the #6 and #8 cylinder and the axle joints were perfect but at least one of the ball joints were seized. it also needed some new mufflers so i just pulled the whole exhaust off the right side to get more room to work on the replacement of the fuel valve and associated wiring that needed to be done. luckily i have been hoarding exhaust manifolds for years so i had some fairly nice ones to choose from some fighting with junk stud replacement and new mufflers we are good on exhaust. i just have to get the new switch and wiring to dash done and hopefully we are ready for another wonderful(sarcasm) plowing season to begin.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote