Thread: No start???
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 09:03 AM   #14
C3pilot

Re: No start???

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
With a non HD, yes 15 should be obtainable. I'll ask my brother what he gets, he has an 01 2500 non HD, his is also 2wd and has 230k on it. Usually they will tell on them selves, but I've had cases, it's typically Fords though, that will have issues and not throw a code. Is your check engine light working? Have you tried scanning for codes anyways? After you check the rockers, I'd take it for a drive and get it up to temp then let it idle while you crawl under and see if you can shoot the entrance and exit of the cats with your temp gun. Remember the rear o2 is only to tell the ECM if the cat is working, the fronts are what control AFR. When you did the heads did they get the broken bolts all of them always have out, and what manifold gaskets did you use? And you're sure you don't have any exhaust leaks, that can introduce false air and cause it to go rich.
I’d really like to hear what your brother is getting for mpg!
Yes check engine light is working, it came on for the bad knock sensors that I replaced. Yes I have scanned for codes but nothing is coming up. I still like the rocker suggestion and will be checking them. I did check the cats and I would say they seem to be bad, lower temp at back of cat. The broken exhaust manifold bolts was what really lead to redoing the heads. Yes….overkill I know to pull the heads for broken exhaust bolts. But….that’s how I roll! Haha. And yes there were exhaust leaks at the manifold prior to doing the heads. I initially used Engine Pro exhaust manifold gaskets and they leaked. Pulled the manifolds off and had them surfaced. Reinstall with same Engine Pro (yes now used for about 2 hours of run time) gaskets and still leaking. Removed the EP gaskets and installed GM original exhaust manifold gaskets. I use new manifold to exhaust pipe ring gasket every time I pull the exhaust apart, this will be my 4th set… the only exhaust leaks I have prior to the cats was at the block to manifold, hence the resurfacing of the manifold and GM gaskets.

I know the most logical thing would be replace the cats and O2 sensors. However, I’d really like to have the smoking gun identified before spending the coin to throw a bunch of parts at and pray.

But plz keep the suggestions coming! We’ll get it nailed down sooner or later.
C3pilot is offline   Reply With Quote