View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 12:22 AM   #1
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

I’m full of questions.. do you have any answers?

Ok, so I normally build 60’s and up trucks and cars, I know a bit about them, their drivetrains and body work..
But I’ve decided I want to do a restomod on a 47-54 pickup (SBC 450hp, 700r4, static or bagged drop), but these trucks are small!. Now I’m out shopping for the project..
I see them in all sorts of conditions, some with crazy crossmembers or frames..
So my questions:

I found one that has an S-10 frame... does the stock S-10 frame lower the truck at all? Can I notch the crossmember or anything to get it lower? Is this S-10 frame truck even worth my while? Or just look for a stock frame and install a portbuilt front/rear and presto!

I also found one that has a 1986 full size pickup cross member installed.. how could that possibly fit? Wouldn’t it or the A-arms be way too wide? Of course there are no wheels installed..

Is there a frame difference between 1/2t and 3/4t on theses trucks?

What is everyone doing for cooling? The rad area looks tiny! Or is there a kit to relocate behind the grill or something?

Any cool must have upgrades I should know about? Things I want for sure: Dakota digital dash, American autowire, vintage air..

What’s the widest and biggest diameter tires I can logically go on these trucks?

I will keep searching the forum, but somehow I suck at it.
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote