View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 06:28 PM   #8
mr48chev

Re: I’m full of questions.. do you have any answers?

One thing to think about is that frame swap trucks are normally viewed as "cheap" trucks by potential buyers when it comes time to sell them and even the guy in Florida who turns out a lot of post 88 chevy truck framed AD trucks seldom gets over 25K for a fresh truck with new paint and upholstery. They are great driving trucks but I would not suggest spending a lot of money on high end parts on one.

The "cheap" on S-10 swaps isn't there anymore in most cases. When the fad started guys could drive around town and find a long bed work truck with a blown up 4 banger sitting in someone's yard and if they didn't get it for free for hauling it off it might cost 100 or 200 bucks. Now guys are spending as much as 3 K to get a running and driving donor truck and then another 1500+ for a swap kit and then adding tube A arms and a 4 link and swapping to a wider rear axle. When they are done, they still have a "cheap" truck no matter how nice it is or how much money they have in it or even as one of member's trucks, how many times it was shown in event coverage on magazines and on the net. Think about it, you have never seen those foreign accent talking heads on the Barrett-Jackson auction shows gushing about the wonderful S-10 frame under and AD truck on Saturday night coverage.

That meaning that a frame swap depends a lot of what you really want with the truck. Great when you don't have a good stock frame. Great when you just want a driver quality truck that you can find parts and pieces for the chassis at any Autozone. Maybe not the greatest if you are planning a high-end show rig.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote