View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #839
mr48chev

Re: Post your C/L finds for everyone to enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
Unfortunately, people routinely asking "what is your absolute bottom dollar price?" has created this..sellers can just ask the same question, right? "What is your absolute highest possible offer?"

I've had people make low offers, and I've countered with an offer above my initial asking price...why not, right? if a buyer can ask to put more money back in their pocket, well so can I.
That is called bargaining. I don't mind that if the guy is standing in front of me and makes an honest cash offer. The problem in this area is the guys who send you a text with a low ball offer. That has saved me the trouble of figuring out how to haul a couple of clunkers to the scrap yard or calling the local wrecking yard to give them to. My long time friend who owned the yard I gave probably 30 cars to over the years just passed away last month after a long illness. I went to school with his whole family and his son in law is a friend of my son. I gave him a lot of hulks when scrap metal was too low for me to deal with hauling them 25 miles a pickup load at a time to the scrap yard. When scrap got real high there were guys buying clunkers and towing them 170 miles to the scrap yard in Portland Oregon and selling them. Towing them with a tow dolly.

That guy who told me that "best offer" meant the highest bid over a certain time and I was welcome to place a bid did mean bids over his listed price because I gave him an offer that matched the actual cash I had on me and he laughed and said no, that wasn't how it worked with him. He actually thought he was auctioning the rig off from that as the starting bid. I still don't know if he ever sold it but talked to another guy who had made an offer within pocket change of what I had made.

I don't like going anywhere to buy something that costs over about 500 with cash in my pocket anymore although 30 years ago I did it a lot. I'm looking into buying an OT car now and if i do it I'll have the seller go with me to the bank in his town to arrange a transfer of funds to him.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote