View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #13
RichardJ

Re: Need help with power steering

when I first read this thread, my first thoughts were also that the lines were mixed. Your LT1 engine PS pump uses a remote reservoir. Your return line goes from the gear box to a PS cooler if used, to the reservoir and then to the bottom of the PS pump?

>>lock the lock 20 times to prime it<< That 20 number sounds like it's out of the Flaming River page.

I had to replace the Rack on my '87 L98 and I think it uses the same PS pump as your LT1. C4 steering Racks are unobtainable. You have to rebuild your Rack.

I gave my rack to NAPA. NAPA sent it to Cardone and they farmed it out to someone , somewhere back East. When Cardone returned it to NAPA, it had Cardone tags and specific instructions regarding installation and guarantee.

You are not priming a PS by cranking lock-to-lock, you are attempting to remove the air.

Cardone's instructions are that you must BLEED the system of all air before even starting the engine.
Use a hand vacuum pump with a suitable size cup and suck the air out with of the reservoir.
It works.
It removes all the air from the pump and rack and when you start the engine, it is completely quiet and ready to go.
Air in the PS system can cause a lot of initial wear and foaming of the PS fluid.