View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #332
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Question: If the motor is built into a transmission, does the trans work? Or is the locking out I'm seeing lock the trans into the 1:1 gear?
Here is how I understand it, correct me if I am wrong I am not an expert and this is some voodoo stuff for sure, see the following article to see what I am really trying to explain: The Lexus GS 450h Hybrid System

There are two electric motors inside this Lexus GS450h transmission relying on a power split device. Each one has it's own set of Planetary Gears. The car uses a two-stage motor speed reduction device. We lock the input shaft which is only connected to the first motor what they call a Generator in the first diagram below and refer to it as MG1 (yellow wheel) in the second diagram.

The hybrid system in the GS 450h supports both high output and high vehicle speed. To engage the low gear range, Toyota opens the conventional planetary gearset’s brake 1 and locks brake 2, resulting in a reduction gear ratio of 3.900. For high gear, brake 1 is locked and brake two is open, with a reduction gear ratio of 1.900.

FYI: Most guys like me who do the EV Conversion using this transmission always leave it in High gear.

sorry wordy, but I hope that explains how it works and answered your question
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 12-10-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote