View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #2551
special-K
Special Order

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

That place is a memory of mine. Many changes since I first came here. a local builder bought it, put in a cul-de-sac, and stuck 4-5 smaller homes in. Lots are big in town. Most places have a barn. They took the barn on this place down a few years prior. They are just now building the last house, which sits right where the old one did. It would have been more tasteful, in my opinion, to have left the old place stand. It was bought for the value of the land, so renovate the place that has been fitting in all along and stick the newer places (where they are) down grade and back where they impact the street view less. I mean, the town is known for its picturesque Main St. He did a good job, but I would have left the old place.

No eyesore. Someone removed the doors, windows, and most of the siding. I would have dismantled the whole thing. That place just needed paint on the exterior. It wasn't bad.

The places along Main St, especially up the hill (like this place), were built as summer homes. The town originated as a whistle stop for the B&O climbing Parrs Ridge, people came out of the city to the cooler fresher air. The whole street is lined with turn of the century homes. The ones going down the hill are mostly the same Sears Catalog house. I think this place was one as well, frame house with steep turned gable. The ones up the hill are mostly Victorian. The president of the B&O's daughter built a sanitorium for children out of Baltimore along the ridge. I guess the town might not be here if there had been air conditioning

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-10-2021 at 02:04 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote