View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #306
TKCR

Re: Restoring OEM Seatbelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Been working on someone’s 1987 Charcoal Black belts. My my my, these needed quite a bit of work. I’m not finished with them, since the retractors were sent off to get rewebbed. One side, the housing was melted. Not sure what happened there. And the other side, the webbing has about a 1/4” cut. So new webbing is the only way to fix these.
So before I sent these off, I got the retractor mechanisms throughly cleaned and lubed. Removed the rust from the mounts, which were pretty rusty, especially the extra tab that is used on the 87.
I also replaced the melted housing with one that I had. Also got both the housings off, throughly cleaned and dyed. Had to get these done first and sent with the retractors. When they get the new webbing, they can route the webbing thru the openings before they sew the latches on.
Here are the Before pics. I had to use the ones that were sent to me, from the owner of the belts. Dummy me, got busy on them and totally forgot to get pictures.
Quote:
While the retractors are off getting rewebbed, I worked on the center belts. As you can see from the pics in the above post, he sent extras. The center belts were really rusty, so the extra center belts he sent were used for parts. When the covers are that rusty, they need replaced with better covers or new covers.
Everything was cleaned and the rust removal process was done. Then I picked out the best covers & buckle emblems. Then the belts were throughly cleaned & dyed.
The tab mounts that are used just on the 1987 retractors, were very rusty and pitted. I got all the rust off, sandblasted them, primed and painted them. The pitting still shows some, but all the rust is gone.
Once the retractors come back, I’ll update the post with the final pictures.
Quote:
A little progress on the 1987 Belts from posts #298 & #299. The retractors have been rewebbed and are on their way back, can’t wait to see them. I did get the Buckles completed.
Before & After
So here’s an UPDATE. Got the belts back from rewebbing. Boy did these turn out awesome. They started out very rough, but look amazing now!
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote