View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #22
speedygonzales

Re: '99 OBS CC SWB Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
He said he bled the brakes.
I'm sorry do I seem to be an idiot? Or perhaps you missed the word "automatic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
As @JustcallmeSean stated, the brake system had to be bled since both calipers, front hoses, & rear wheel cylinders were replaced.

I started flushing @ the farthest position & bled until the air was purged & fluid looked new. Once the freshh fluid was coing out, I purged @ each other corner until I got more fluid vs. air. Then 3x rounds @ each corner until no air.

Not sure what an "automatic bleed" is??
For both of you, an Automatic brake bleed is where a "capable" scanner takes over the bleeding process and shuttles the antilock valves while the occupant has his foot on the brake pedal. You will feel the pedal go down a little and stop. Then go down a little further and stop. And go nearly all the way down and then come back up. This is all done by the scanner.

A dealer obviously would be able to do this for you. A highly knowledgeable independent shop also. Since I have my own Solus, I do my own. I had bled my own brakes the normal way for years. Then I finally looked deeper into the 4 books of the shop manual and found the automatic bleed process and have never had a better pedal feel since.

So from page 5-249 in the 98 GM shop manual:

Do a standard 4 wheel bleed procedure
Press the brake pedal firmly and run the scan tool automated Bleed Procedure once.
Bleed all 4 wheels using the standard process again.

I don't understand the influence this process has on the brake pedal firmness and grab but it does. If you aren't doing it, you're leaving a lot of good on the table.

Good luck