Thread: 47-59 Agree or Disagree?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #15
1project2many

Re: Agree or Disagree?

Quote:
Like Thesueus' ship, there is no right or wrong answer here.
The question of Theseus' ship discussion is not really about the ship. It's about how humans attach meaning to names. I think it's awesome that Great Grandad's axe has had two heads and three handles. It speaks to how myths work in the human mind and how we have the ability to create concepts that are greater than the objects they describe. And I'll be comfortable with this up to the day that Great Grandad himself is made of more newly manufactured parts than original ones.

For me the styling of prior generation vehicles will never be repeated in mass production. Identifying a truck as an "old truck" recognizes that the visual design and overall appearance of the truck represents a time and a way of thinking about the world and the future that are long gone. I've seen new old trucks, copies of old trucks, clones of old trucks, reinterpretations of old trucks, and re-imaginations of old trucks. In all cases the "new" object has to draw on appreciation and sentimentality for a style that was, not is.

Now if you want to talk "Original" trucks, the bottom vehicle is not even close.

Last edited by 1project2many; 01-18-2022 at 10:50 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote