Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 12:41 AM   #951
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

It was only a matter of time until it happened, but it finally did. When I installed some halogen bulbs a while back, the retaining ring on the driver's side had a slight bend in one spot. I didn't realize it until I tightened up the screw and the bulb cracked. The crack was small, so it's been like that for a few years. Over the Christmas break, the driver's headlight lost low beam, but still had high. The crack finally got bad enough to let water in, so that's probably what killed it. Anyways, replaced that today.

Went out just now to test it in the dark and the high beams decided to not work. I've noticed that for a few months, I've had to lightly tap the grille around the passenger bulb to get the high beam to turn on. Well, the relay harness I have is starting to come apart at the connection to the battery. I can wiggle it around and make the high beams turn on and off. The low beams are fine. Of course, all my wiring tools are back home, but I know my church family down here has what I need. It'll get fixed eventually

I'm also thinking of switching around the wires in the headlight switch plug so that I can have both the park lights on and the headlights on at the same time.

And last for the night: check out how well the under hood light works. I didn't use the flash on my phone to take the last picture. It's from a 87-96 Dakota and I think I have an 1156 bulb in it. I got it from a junkyard, so it was around 5 bucks. There's a plug at the bulb and at the base of the hood. I will unplug it at car shows or when I don't need it on while working under the hood. I can check the oil at night without needing a flashlight
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote