View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #5090
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Today I learned a valuable lesson.

When doing some maintenance on my cooling system I discovered my radiator drain plug was clogged with thread sealant. Hoping to blow it out, I removed the radiator cap and put an air gun on the drain plug.

What a cleanup nightmare. 150 psi will move a lot of coolant fast and high. I think antifreeze is still dripping from my garage ceiling...
OH DAMN!

I will never forget working on my mother-in-laws (ex) Pinto, around 1982 changing the radiator and forgetting to tighten the drain plug! It was late after working all day long trying to make a living at my shop. I drove off with the coolant leaking out. Was going down the freeway about 8 miles away when the motor started knocking and froze up! I coasted off the freeway and right off the exit was a gas station and a tow truck was getting gas! He towed the Pinto back to my shop. I let it cool down and refilled it with coolant. Changed the Thermostat that was fried shut. It had a funky little "knock" but I drove it to their house and gave them the key. Geeeez I never could look at that car in their garage without wanting to vomit. The day they traded it in on a new car was one of the best days of my life.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote