View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #28
71 super

Re: Windsheild Install OOHH my!!!

This is not that bad, but you need several things to be successful: a good quality gasket, precision is about best aftermarket, OEM is better, A good helper, Weed eater line , the precision or comparable lube and a set of trim that matches the gasket- 67-70 use a deep lip trim that is easier to install, 71-72 use a shallow trim and gasket - they HAVE to match and the 71-72 is a pain in the a--. If you need sealer, typically it will be in upper and lower corners, the factory used a dum-dum type that never really hardened. The flowable type available from parts stores works well. A couple of things to remember: the new glass available is not a thick as the original so the fit is different, and this opens the opportunity for a leak. I wish i could tell you the best glass to get but they all have draw backs. As far as install, have plenty of room to work, lay out your glass on blankets on table or stands and install the rubber gasket. The trim is installed after the gasket. As said earlier, tape the gasket and trim to windshield after installing the weed eater string around perimeter. Lay blankets on hood and position yourself and the helper on either side of the truck. Set the glass into place with the bottom in the channel and work/wiggle the glass down into the channel. Move one person inside and Help the rubber across the lip of the channel if possible and begin pulling string- slowly! Do not beat or pound on the glass, use the flat portion of your palm and help it find it's seat continue to work until you get it in place. This will take you on your first time probably 1.5- 2 hours but very do able - don't over think it and remember these trucks were built on an assembly line, you can do it.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote