View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 09:01 AM   #71
Grumpy old man

Re: Windsheild Install OOHH my!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut74 View Post
Grumpy,
I take it the little loop getting in between the pinch well and gasket and you have tip trailing in the direction of travel. Correct?
I think the loop your referencing in the end of the pump gun is actually the tip plug they provide to use when your done pumping sealant under the gasket edge so the tip doesn't get plugged up with sealant . Let's clarify some things .

1) The CRL sealant isn't used until the windshield is fully installed and only if you have a leak .

2) Assemble your windshield and seal /trim a week before you intend to install , When your stretching the glass seal onto the windshield it becomes "alive" and wants to shrink back to it's original size ( This makes it harder to install in the trim and Install the windshield in your truck ) Think about it when these trucks were built on the line they weren't stretching seals onto the glass as the truck rolled up to them ,They were already done ,seal and trim already installed on the glass picked up by one of the guys on the line ,Dropped into the opening and centered by another guy on the other side of the truck while a third guy pulled the rope from inside the truck and was totally installed in minutes .if not faster .

3) butyl tape ( Like the type referenced below from NAPA) should be applied to the outside of the windshield pinch weld on each top corner about 8-9" across the top from the corner and down the side about the same distance NO other sealant should be used until it's needed after your done .

4) Never use Urethane / silicone / marine sealant or really anything else to seal your windshield before during or after installing your new glass .

5) The only lube that should be used to aide the install is glass cleaner or mild dish soap/water in a spray bottle .

6 I see lots of pictures of fresh painted trucks without the 4 body seams around the windshield without the seams sealed before paint and then they wonder why it leaks ? Always seal those 4 seams BEFORE you paint it or it's going to leak like crazy ,

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MS_4...&gclsrc=aw.ds&

https://www.amazon.com/XFasten-8-Inc...nFromLogin=1&#

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 02-12-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote