Thread: C30 question
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #21
StingRay

Re: C30 question

2 tons technically overloads it. I've had my 10k gvw truck at nearly 15k and hardly knew it was there. Drums being the weak point braking was a little off. As actual farm trucks they would always have been overloaded. When I haul the odd load of gravel we just look at how much the suspension droops. When weighing out on the scale it's like oh damn. Handles it beautifully. I have a later 14 bolt with big brakes and a classic square body 1 ton disc front clip for it that will bring its capabilities up remarkably. Just have to get to it some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by va72longhorn View Post
Hey Tim
Yeah, the plate on the door jamb shows 11,000 on the rear, 3000 on the front with a GVW of 14000. The truck weighs 7900 lbs, empty, so by the numbers it should be a 2 ton truck as I’d doubt I could ever load it with more than 2 ton that it wouldn't overload the rear. It’s a 8 lug rear with 16” wheels. It came factory with the 16” setup. The parking brake is in the rear drums. I’ve never known the truck to spin. Is there something you see in the build sheet or is there something I can find on the truck itself to identify what rear axle was used? If I go by the spec sheet, because it’s a 14k GVW, it should be a Custom Camper model with a 5:43 rear.
I thought I had read where the 157” frame was more stout than the 133” longhorn frame. But I also know that the CC’s for the chassis mounted campers were subject to the same options as the Longhorns on the 133”. I wouldnt think a C30 intended to receive a commercial body was eligible for the same options, but I haven’t had any luck finding that in writing. Given that and the fact that two different factory stake beds were available, I can only imagine it was a very busy assembly line if all the C30’s were run with the C20’s and C10’s.
Hence, after all this rambling at 3:30am, you can see why I had the initial thought that GM might have ran a separate assembly line for the CC’s, that were intended for Commercial use.