View Single Post
Old 03-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #511
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
This is an intriguing build. SEMA had an electrified C10 a couple years ago and it seemed that every possible nook and cranny was filled with some component to support the electric motor. The engine bay was full of batteries and the bed floor was lifted to accommodate more batteries, the inverters, converters, chargers, and controllers. Your design seems to require a lot less space. Is it just a matter of miles per charge, so they packed in more batteries or has the tech evolved enough to make everything smaller?
you bring up some great points and questions so please allow me to address them one by one, if we are thinking of the same build here I think this was a Squarebody with a ridiculous over the top wide body kit on it, if indeed it was that build, I stopped watching after I saw what they were doing with the electronics

basically here is my take on SEMA builds in general, see if you agree or disagree, lets say we make side mirrors and want to build a SEMA truck to feature those after all SEMA stands for Specialty Equipment Market Association

here's what most knuckleheads would do, let's start with a 67 slant nose dime short box and extend it to a long box, since everyone goes the other way, lets not buy a 4x4 to begin with but reinvent the wheel and convert our 2WD to 4x4, if the truck is red lets paint it white, if we bought it as a white truck lets paint it black, of course you can not feature side mirrors on a stock cab so lets extend it and make it a 4 door

do you see where I am going with this analogy, the builders do so much stupid shiet that they loose sight of their original goal, my old supervisor goes to SEMA every year he invented something once and got into this stuff, having all access pass he saw and swears 50% of those cars do not move under their own power, they are incomplete, some guys get pissed if you try to look under the hood cause there's three 45lb gym weights there instead of the engine weighing it down

so now back to this truck, why so many components well they double built it, instead of making it a one rear motor truck, they installed both a rear wheel drive Tesla unit on it as well as a front wheel drive so that doubles all the complexity, think two motors instead of one think two inverters instead of one, plus extra electronics to make sure these two systems can co exist, they also were wiring up some Holley crap that me being an LS Swap guy had to Google and look up cause I had a WTF moment

so yeah Electric Cars < Gasoline Cars in terms of complexity and moving parts simple as that

my build is not a good example of that because my transmotor is a unicorn, more on that later
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote