Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2022, 10:35 PM   #984
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Got the seat "fixed" and back in the truck yesterday. Drove back to Milledgeville today and didn't have any discomfort regarding the seat. It's good enough for government work! I will keep using this seat until I find a good, full foam seat to have reupholstered. I really like the custom comfort pattern, so I'm probably going to go that direction at some point. That will be after fixing the cab rust though, so I still have plenty of time to put my fix to good use.

I did have one problem though. The throttle return spring snapped on I20. I felt the throttle get really loose, but it was still running fine, so I kept driving. Eventually, it started getting funky and I couldn't accelerate. I pulled off on the shoulder, got out, and didn't notice anything wrong under the hood. The engine fired right back, so I revved it and it didn't come back down unless I pulled back on the pedal. Looked back under the hood and sure enough, throttle spring was gone. I saw the short piece sitting on the intake manifold, but assumed the rest was gone to the interstate.

I limped the truck off the interstate since the next exit was about a mile up the road. I had to work the throttle back and forth with my foot, but I made it into a gas station.
Went back under the hood and started looking around. I am glad I don't have headers because sitting between the exhaust manifold and head was the rest of the spring.

One vise grip and needle nose pliers later, I bent one of the coils into a hook since all that broke was the hook at the point it started to coil. That worked great to get me the rest of the way to Milledgeville. I could probably run it like that for awhile, but I'll be getting a new spring tomorrow. Definitely going with one that has a smaller spring inside the larger one

*Edited to add pictures*

I picked up a pack of universal return springs. Might be overkill, but I put two on instead of just one. The throttle is definitely has more resistance, but that might help keep my foot out of the floor
I might take one off though if it proves to be uncomfortable on a longer trip.
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 03-21-2022 at 06:08 PM.
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote