Thread: 55.2-59 59 GMC 270-336 swap.
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 10:00 PM   #27
daveshilling

Re: 59 GMC 270-336 swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you're doing a numbers match truck, then, hey, do what you gotta do. if doing what needs to be done to get it going and running so you can drive it, then, hey, for me, an ls swap is the answer
It's my answer too, but it's a slippery slope. You need to change fuel delivery, so probably an EFI system with the tank under the bed. You make new fuel lines now. You change the wiring. You need to change the mounts. You need a new oil pain I would guess, You are probably getting an auto trans, and you probably had a manual before, so you may need to change your shifting mechanism. You need to change your driveshaft to a custom piece. You need to change the radiator most likely (might need to anyways)

Your gauges are useless now, so you'll need to change those.

You'll have way more power now I bet, so you'll probably need a disc brake upgrade to handle slowing down as fast as you speed up. So you'll need a new master, and probably a booster while you're there, some way to mount that, prop valves, residual valves, etc. You'll need a couple new brake lines then, too. (I would argue do disc regardless but still).

OR

You can drop in a 336 that was meant to be there, and change much, much less. Update the fuel line, some throttle linkage, maybe move the trans mount depending on what ya stick in there. You also don't need to learn about all the little things that need to be updated and spend $18 on some little thing you need like 25 times.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote