Thread: Good Wood
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #37
72c20customcamper

Re: Good Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
If you wood , LOL really like to achieve a authentic aged wood look the best way is to do a wood fuming process , this is done with ammonia ,it must be done outside , depending on the grade of ammonia used will corollate the time it takes , you can use your everyday store bought ammonia or a Janitorial grade , or industrial grade . you would need to build a box of some sort to house the wood something to hold the fumes in so penetration can occur , a metal bowl to pour your ammonia in and the check it every 24 hours and change to a fresh batch of ammonia , from my experience if you use red oak to achieve 50 year old looking wood would take about 5 days with Janitorial strength ammonia , this process penetrates deep in to the wood not like top coat finishes, you can sand it ,plane it it will still have the aged finish

If you can deal with industrial strength , it will cut down on the process time and it will give you the aged penetration through the entire depth of the wood , Again this is done outside I can not stress this enough and I would add use appropriate PPE when doing this . So if you want a real deal aged wood look nothing else comes close.
Not trying for the super aged look just a nice used look .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote