View Single Post
Old 06-12-2002, 12:24 AM   #7
Low69CST

Its not increditbly hard to put that rear end in your truck. I put a 89 Iroc rear under my truck before I got the different one I have now. I was concerned about strength. But I'm putting a locker with 295's out back behind a 500hp small block and a 700R4. I have a tendancy to drive really hard and do some racing. So I dumped it for a stouter piece.

The weld on axle saddles are 60 bucks I think. You will also have to get a different panhard rod kit if you don't have one. Earlyclassic has the one I used. It attaches to the passenger side trailing arm. a really nice set up. Its not hard at all. Just takes some patients. I can give you basically what we did to get them lined up.

Will it hold up?? You need to look at what motor your running, what gears and how you drive. If you've got a serious lead foot, like racing, spinning tires you need a stouter piece. If your just building a mild small block and yoru gonna be riding around town with no harsh abuse, that rear end will be just fine. Alot of guys thing you gotta have a friggin Dana 60 to make it to the grocery store. Thats bullsh*t. I see this mind set alot here in Frankfort, KY. I can't stand it when these guys buy freakin 1 ton dodge turbo cummins desiels because they gotta have it to drive across a damn field.

Alot of guys take these z-28's and serious modify them and run just fine. Infact if its a 2001, out of a Z-28, i believe its a 8 and something inch rear end, not the 7-5/8ths. Think about it, the car has 300 hp right now. They've been making these rear ends for ever. They've probably made 20 million of them. They are the same stump as used in the S-series trucks. How many camaros and s-series have you seen sittin in the garage cuz the ring and pinion is out of them? Yeah, a 12 bolt is a popular mod for the camaro, but thats for the guys like me. That like lots of horsepower and love to spin tires. Also keep in mind that V-8 swap is a popular thing in S-10's and most of the time the original rear end is kept in the truck.

You have to make the decision yourself. If your not gonna thrash the **** out of your truck then it will hold up fine. It'll be a good piece because its cheap and will have parts easily available. Its all how your gonna use your truck.

If your worried about the bolt patterns, you can get a wheel with both patterns on it to either use as your wheels or to keep as a spare.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks

Last edited by Low69CST; 06-12-2002 at 12:28 AM.
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote