View Single Post
Old 05-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #183
68 C10 Driver

Re: 1968 C10 Stepside Restoration Project

So the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to convert the old mechanical clutch to a hydraulic clutch. I like the feel of the cable clutch, makes it feel like a truck. But being 60 years old, my crawling under a truck to adjust clutch cables will be numbered.

There were a lot of good products on the market, and several systems to choose from...hydraulic throw-out bearing, or the classic slave cylinder. I am more familiar with the latter than the hydraulic throw-out bearing, but both seem easy enough to work with. To me, having a slave cylinder would keep any potential leak external to the clutch and easier to see.

So I got the 67-72 Hydraulic Clutch system from Speedway. Today I had to prep the firewall by sanding the area being covered by the reinforcing plate and cut a 1.5 in. hole in the firewall where the clutch master cylinder will go. Here are a couple pics...as you can see, I have the plate bolted on and clamped to better bond the firewall and plate together (this is why I sanded the firewall to bare metal as I did the back side of the plate. Yeah, this will be a permanent mod.
Attached Images

Last edited by 68 C10 Driver; 06-29-2023 at 03:25 PM.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote