View Single Post
Old 06-09-2022, 05:35 PM   #52
caseyjones

Re: 1964 GMC Palomino Tan Survivor

Been driving the truck for a few months now – working out bugs and trying to determine if this one is a keeper or not.

The original Comanche shifter was too short and angled back into the bench seat. I lucked out and found a Dakota with an AX15 in the pick-n-pull so I snagged the shifter (make sure you take the whole tower and everything from the transmission). These shifters are classic truck-style straight sticks. Unfortunately, the bend at the base of the shifter still made for interference with the seat, but it gave me a reason to finally buy a real torch setup. Some heat and some leverage and I was able to bend the shifter into the right position. I ordered a rebuild kit online and now it shifts like a new unit.

I reupholstered the seat with a kit from Classic Industries. This is the second one I’ve gotten from them and both are really nice. Installed seat belts, arm rests and a new visor too. Installed all new rubber and seals for the side windows, and Civic door seals. Got a new speedometer cable, and ended up getting a new cluster from a 60-61 truck due to me breaking the fuel gauge in the original cluster. The original cluster had been painted poorly and I was looking to replace it anyway. Rebuilt the heater controls and installed new cables while I was at it too. The controls work and feel so much better now – highly recommend doing this on anything you drive a lot.

I tried to get color-matched paint from Sherwin Williams…it’s close, but not dead-on. I sprayed over my body work and tried to blend in where I made the cuts on the bed…it’s a 10-footer for sure. Maybe more like a 20-footer. I’m planning to fully polish the paint to see if I can get a good shine from it.

Installed a new bed wood and strip kit. Just painted black, I like that look and my trucks live outside. Also installed a new rear bumper and bumper brackets. Cobbled together an exhaust system from parts-store bends and straight pipe, and a couple of long glasspacks. Installed a fan clutch to help quiet down the engine bay. Leaned out the carb tuning a little bit and it starts and runs great.

I’ve been driving this truck and my 64 C10 with a 292 and NP440, and I have to say that the 292 feels like a racecar engine compared to the V6. The difference in how quickly the 292 revs, along with its lighter weight, is very noticeable. The heavy clutch in the GMC doesn’t help – if I decide to keep it I think I’ll have to buy a diaphragm clutch. The GMC bounces more than my C10, I’m assuming because of the softer shocks and the stiffer frame making the suspension work more. And with this heavy engine, I feel like power steering is a requirement. It’s a battle to turn the wheel when not moving.

Overall, I like the truck a lot but the engine and clutch combination makes it less fun to drive than my C10. I see a lot of potential in the GMC though. Wish I had room to keep both!
caseyjones is online now   Reply With Quote