View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #10
schovil69

Re: 'Ole Green' - 1970 Chevy C10 Engine Rebuild

Months ago I bead blasted the passenger side exhaust manifold and it's been sitting in the workshop remaining quite surprisingly rust free. Last night I went out there to get going on that part of this project again. First stop for the driver side exhaust manifold was the parts washer. My workshop is a 20' x 18' garage that currently houses an immobile '56 Belair project I'm working on in addition to this pickup project. It's quite crowded in there at the moment so to add usable workspace in there I place a 4' x 5' sheet of plywood on top of the parts washer. So, the menial task of using the parts washer meant moving several items from the '56 project(and find a place for them) to clear off the parts washer cover. I then donned my gloves, apron and face shield to ensure a good sweat during the cleaning process. While I was in there I scrubbed the manifold, heat riser cover, and a bunch of hardware. I like to ensure parts are dry prior to going into the bead blaster so I set this aside to dry and turned my attention to the air supply.

It gets very humid here and stays that way once it sets in for the summer. I was getting water in my air tools even after going through a dryer. To help remedy this, I had built/installed one of those copper tube heat exchangers to help with moisture in my air supply but did not have enough 2" x 4"s to properly secure the tubing. After cutting the wood to size I painted it white to match the walls, screwed the tube to the wood and the wood to the wall. I used the wood to lift the tubing away from the wall providing better air flow on all sides to aid in the cooling process.

All this took as much time as I was willing to put in for the evening and left me with a sweat soaked shirt from collar to hem and a half hour to catch up with my wife. I have 1-2 hours in the evenings to get things done at home, if I'm lucky. Tomorrow evening is date night with my daughter who's home from the east coast. Bead blasting and coating these parts will have to wait. Maybe Friday evening I can get back to making progress on this.

The exhaust manifolds will be coated with Eastwood's gray High Temperature Manifold Coating being applied from spray cans. The heat riser cover will be a high temp black spray paint, not sure of the specifics right now but can post that if someone is interested. I believe these are the stock colors. Let me know if they are not.
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote