View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 09:41 PM   #960
mr48chev

Re: Post your C/L finds for everyone to enjoy!

First and foremost you ask if it has a clear title. I have no idea of what goes on in Wisconsin without asking my cousin But if the seller has a clear title in their name that you can walk in and transfer into your name that is worth a premium in many states.

Know what your state says before you buy rather than after if it doesn't have a title.
A bill of sale for the cab with Cab serial number on the bill if sale plus listing additional parts = fenders, hood and what not as additonal parts could go a long way at the dMV meaning that the seller sold you a trailer full of parts rather than a truck. Creative writing 101 works here.

Then look for rust and how much you have to deal with. Floor boards are a bargaining tool, cab seam/style line along the back of the cab is either a deal breaker or reason to go beyond lowballing.

Then completeness for the list of pieces you plan to use. Then their condition. The nicer the body parts, the less work you have to do or pay for doing.

If you plan to go V8 a Six has no value unless it actually runs and can be resold.. I looked at a hulk 5 miles from the house that the seller has had for sale for 6 years and wants 2500 for something that I would have paid 200 for to get the roof and running boards but even the running boards are junk. He bases his price on "rare" an that he has a rebult 235 to go with it.

Plus anything that you don't plan to use does not have any added value unless it is an item that you know you can sell for good money quickly. A frost shield aka sunvisor brings good money if you don't plan too use it but ugly or cheap looking aftermarket wheels and tires that you will never use have no value to you and don't bring much if you go to sell them. Hopefully the seller is in love with wheels and tires you don't like and will bargain down if they keep them.

I always look at stuff as to how much work I have to do or how much money I have to spend to get it the way I personally want it and figure that I am going to take that into my offer.

Truthfully, if that is the best that the seller is willing to present those parts and the best photos they post, make your first offer your absolute cash right now low offer. With the truck and trailer parked out front. Let it cost them for not presenting it the best they could as they don't really care. That is cold blooded but they did nothing to get me excited about what I am lookng at, the parts fenders, hood and other parts aren't laid out so you can actually see the condition, the cab isn't pulled out by it's self with a number of photos. It's hard to tell even what you are looking at in those photos. You can always bargain up but start with your lowest offer and then bargain.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 07-09-2022 at 09:47 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote