View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
mrein3

Re: Help With Starter Motor Part Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Oil keeps the rust at bay. If it isn't your daily driver, take it off so we can see what you have. Some blocks are tapped for both the staggered bolt pattern like the starter you show, and the straight-across bolt holes. Can you look up online to see which tooth count flywheel/flexplate you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
You'll want the #337-1011 that's like the starter you have on there now. That style (with the two equal length bolts staggered one ahead of the other) is used with 14", 168 tooth flexplates.

The #336-1860 (that takes one long & one short bolt, straight across from one another) is for use with the smaller 12-3/4", 153 tooth flexplates. Even if your engine block has the holes to accept this starter, it won't work with your existing flexplate.
Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. This week was our small town's summer celebration so between doing stuff there and getting the convertible polished up for the parade I didn't have time to do anything online.

My truck isn't a daily driver but in the summer I drive it nearly daily.

Funny thing about the flex plate. I recall now when I pulled this 307 out of my Chevelle in 1989 or so, and put in a 350 I refreshed in its place, when I went to start it the starter was not engaging the flexplate. Back then Midway Chev on University in St. Paul was close by so a quick trip there for the larger flexplate fixed the problem.

Sorry. I'm easily sidetracked.

I will see what the jungle website has for deals for that #337-1011 starter on prime day.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote