View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 02:52 AM   #15
dagnabbitt

Re: 1967 GMC K20 " The Kodiak"

I have repeatedly made the mistake of discarding what I think is junk and then later finding out was junkyard gold.

I might have been hasty with the wheels.

Without putting much thought into it I asked my dad to take the old wheels in to get peeled and to discard the tires. Only later did I notice that the wheels were the ultra strange 16.5 inch rims. So the tires I discarded were kind of hard to find. I think they were garbage, but nonetheless if they held air I might have saved them just for rolling this thing around. Probably what influenced my decision unreasonably was the fact that they were caked with 40 years of cow and smelled to high heaven. The smell is almost visible in the pictures below.

I did hold on to the rims to blast and paint. I have read on this forum that the 16.5s are hard to find, which I gather means that they are hard to find if you are not rich. I need to decide if I will keep these rims - which are really wide and look great - and try to find tires for them, or stick with the 17" Yukon wheels.

One thing I have found is a set of 16.5 inch Skid Steer swampers which are definitely not street legal but look pretty cool. I will ask the opinion of the board before making a decision on those though.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 07-15-2022 at 02:58 AM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote