View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 04:18 AM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 1968 GMC Short Bed Stepside Exhaust 250 Inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmcdude View Post
Hello Everyone...
I am looking to replace the stock exhaust on my 1968 GMC short bed stepside that has an in-line 250 motor. Is there a company that makes the entire exhaust system as a package? I know LMC has a kit but I've heard they are not the easy bolt on kit they say it is. I know if a couple of local shops that can make it but one wants $450 and the other one is booked until end of August. Thanks for you help!
Clifford Performance makes both an intake and headers. They recommend a 2V Holley carb.
I have an Offenhauser aluminum intake and some 1978 Clifford headers.
I ran a Holley 4160 R8007, 390 CFM 4V for 25 years, but retired it after an engine rebuild. Now I run an Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM 4V.
See www.12-Bolt.com for more HiPo L6 goodies.

My exhaust system is more complicated -- the headers are 3 into 2 -- so one collector picks up the first 3 cylinders and diverts right. The other picks up 4-5-6 and turns left. Just aft of the transmission, there is a crossover connector pipe. It's on an angle like an '' N '' to parallel the distance between the 1st and 2nd collectors. 1-7/8'' pipes run further aft thru Turbo mufflers and bend outboard exiting behind the rear tires.
After installing headers, I had a shop do the exhaust pipe work. It was in the '80s, so prices would not reflect the current market, even if I could remember...

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-27-2022 at 04:32 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote