View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 10:22 PM   #11
ChevyTech

Re: High idle on each start

The big thing I see as it shows 27.3 kpa on the right which is only 8 inches of vacuum.

The MAP voltage does not look way off. Am I seeing .9 volt?

Screwed up MAP data will mess with the idle control.

Can you toggle the MAP data and look at it another way?

Other things I see:
It is a little on the lean side but in the acceptable range.

The coolant temp is a little low. Too low to run some self tests but as soon as you drive it I bet it gets a little warmer.

The battery voltage is a little lower then I would expect, but it is charging.

The ECM knows the engine speed but is not trying to slow it down. If it were trying to slow it down you would see the IAC count going down lower and lower as it tries to slow the RPM. If it was trying to slow the RPM, and you had a vacuum leak so it could not slow it down, the count would go to zero.

As for the low battery voltage, if you bring the RPM up does the voltage get to at least the high thirteens?
Another thing I would try is turning on some electrical loads, like headlights, blower motor and radio, and see what happens to the voltage.
Try testing the running voltage with a meter and see if it matches what the data shows.

The ECM has a battery voltage correction mode that increases the RPM and will richen the fuel mixture. I just have never seen specific criteria on this.

Somewhere in the data there should be a indication for the Park/Neutral switch that tells the ECM if it is in park or in gear. This make a difference for idle control. See if you can find that.

What speed does the idle settle to when in gear?

Last edited by ChevyTech; 08-03-2022 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Just noticed the kpa reading on the right
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote