View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

I have been driving the truck around for the last 5 or 6 weeks on nice days. It has been very reliable, starts instantly, idles great, goes down the road straight, no vibrations, no leaks or overheating. Everything is working as it should.

In 6th it will cruise at approximately 2300RPM at 80 mph on freeway, which is nice. I was only able to put maybe 20 miles on the fresh engine and transmission swap before this years Street machine nationals car show in St Paul MN. We try to go each year. This year we wanted to drive there each day. It’s approximately 80 miles one way, so I was a bit nervous about breaking down or overheating the first day. As it turns out, the truck made it without any issues. We drove to St.Paul and back home each day(Friday & Saturday) so I figured we put on over 320 miles in those 2 days alone. I probably have over 500 miles on the truck now. I checked the mileage twice and I averaged 16 miles per gallon with some city and freeway miles combined.

It was recommended to break in the clutch and transmission for 500-1000 miles, so I have been trying to take it easy on it for a while.
The truck is a blast to drive, but I seem to think I need more HP, and I’m wondering if ported heads with bigger valves, and a heathy cam , larger throttle body, will be enough?
I’ve been looking for a nice 6.0, but the prices are very close to the 6.2’s I find .
One good thing about a 6.0 is , I can use a lot of the stuff that I already have…..
For now though it’s running, and it’s fun!