View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #731
SCOTI

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Scoti , SkinnyG

So what I have is a pole building that is 24'x36'x14' eve. I have a total of 16 4' fluorescent lights now, so three rows of two groups - 2 next to each other long ways and separated by approx. 10ft. Currently i have some lights that are sunlight (5k is color) but lower wattage and some in a more yellow looking light (lower k in color, around 4k) and again lower wattage. Because of the wattage they are not very "powerful" lights or "bright" in color. They are more "calming" in color and power. I want sunlight bright and more power. As you mentioned SkinnyG, as I age ever so gracefully, my sight is a bit "off" or not as sharp. LOL

So with that all said, I work at the local Electrical Utility in the engineering design group as the lead designer. My very close friend Kevin is our in house lighting expert and he has been in my shop many times and understands my concerns with the lighting. So in an office at work we have a very special lighting setup that we can manipulate the light source, color range (2k to 7k) and the power (lumens). What is interesting with lights is the wattage does not nec. mean how "Powerful" the light is. On LED's the Lumens is the "Powerful" part. Now wattage has something to do with this, but does not mean that a 1500L * 20w light is brighter than a 2400L * 18W. The 2400L is much brighter. With that said, we set up the room with 6k color and 5k color. The 6k color looked like someone had a light blue tent to everything and I really did not like it, reds became sorta dark. So then we went with the 5k and oh yes that was it, sunlight as it is called.

So now onto the types of LED shop lights. There are basically 3 or 4 types. There are the ones that require you to bypass the ballast = rewire each light. Then there are the ones that require a specific one sided tombstones (they are the little ends that the light tubes twist into). These are light tubes that require only one tombstone to be powered. Then there are the ones that are direct replacement = just remove old Flour and install the new LED's. These are the easiest but also the more expensive and if you ballast goes out, well the light goes out. Then there are the ones I got, they are type A & B = they Direct replacement but also will stay on when not if your ballast goes out. These are typically the most expensive but to me are the best bang for the buck.
NOTE: You can get Clear or Frosted - GET THE FROSTED!! The clear are overbright to look at and are not as efficient in dispersing the light. I was amazed how this was so true.

So what I got are 5k (sunglight in color) and really "powerful" at 2400L. now this is each bulb, and I have two per fixture. here are the lights i got. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08223JB88...roduct_details

At 99.00 per 20, that is not bad price. LED's are alot less costly electrically speaking and will save you money each month, a good amount really.
You also will not have the cold winter sloooooow turn on and color up. LOL
So I got 2 packs of these and they should outlast me.... but my goal is to make this as difficult as possible. LOL

That help SCOTI? I am happy to help anyway I can, Lord knows I owe many of you on here so much.... so whatever I can to do to help any of you.
Yes sir. TY for explaining the possibilities. I have 96"/flour bulbs in the lighting fixtures in a 25'w x 50'd x16'h commercial building structure.

I've been wanting to swap to LED lighting & was reading up on the need to re-wire/by-pass ballasts. I was hoping for an alternative that allowed plug-n-play swapping as well as adding an additional row @ the very front area of the shop. The bulbs in my fixtures are T12's w/the single pin mounting/locating.

Building owner won't allow individual 'modifying' of the structure/utilities so if I modded things for new LED fixtures I would have to swap things back over @ some point which I don't want to do.

Thus.... Looking for a plug-n-play solution.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote