View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
jgrote

Re: My journey to create a comfortable driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Good job! Is the Sanden compressor a real SD5?
I'm not sure what that even means. I doubt it though. I will say, it's a pretty nice kit. It's not perfect, but I'm kind of okay with that. If it was strictly a bolt-on affair, I wouldn't get the satisfaction of actually working through problems. The biggest thing was the alternator bracket. Nothing lined up perfectly. I had to cut, and grind, and shimmy, and weld, and... until I got it to fit pretty well. I know that I can get the OE replacement bracket for ~$25 just about everywhere, but I like that it mimics the compressor bracket in style. Here are the mods that I made (or will make)to the kit.

1) I changed how the condenser is mounted slightly, really just to make it look nicer.
2) I sealed up the firewall covers with RTV as well as the foam already installed on the plates.
3) I modified the bracket holding the hard lines to the bottom of the battery tray. Their design would have had the battery sitting on screw heads.
4) I will probably replace the cheap side vents with something nicer later on. They are real garbage.
5) Since there are only 3 vents, and 4 outlets on the evap box, I'm going to add a vent below the steering column.
jgrote is offline   Reply With Quote