Thread: Wampus Cat
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #175
TxCajun

Re: Wampus Cat

Power Steering

I found a 1984 C10 power steering gearbox and a steering column collapsible lower section at a local Wrench-A-Part.

The gearbox seems in pretty good shape, smooth operation and no substantial backlash. However, it was apparently leaking, so I installed a pitman arm shaft seal kit and an input shaft seal kit. Big thanks to Tx Firefighter for his excellent instructions on seal replacement! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619634

I also bought a Captain Fab power steering gearbox mounting bracket which is supplied with a very useful mounting template. I punched holes in the template at the old/existing bolt holes, then using three of the old bolts, aligned the template to the existing bolt pattern in the frame and matched punched the locations for drilling the new holes. A test fit of the new gearbox appears to show everything in alignment, so I’ll weld the new bracket to the frame (optional) and then clean/paint/install the gearbox.

For attaching the collapsible steering column section to my existing steering column (which is a three on the tree standard shifter), I intend to cut the existing steering column at the right length and then grind/file the double D flats on the end so that it matches the collapsible shaft. I bought a Unisteer 8050300 ¾” DD x ¾” DD U-joint to attach the two shafts. I particularly like this Unisteer item because it clamps on to each of the shafts rather than having through bolts or some other means of attachment. Plus the clamping bolt requires a slight cross groove cut in the shaft for the clamp bolt to pass; this feature also prevents the shaft from pulling out of the u-joint. Seems like a pretty sturdy attachment configuration.
Attached Images