View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #205
68 C10 Driver

Re: 1968 C10 Stepside Restoration Project

So my steering column parts came in today, but I noticed that the new lower bearing and carrier/spacer is different. The new one is about 1/8 in taller. I am thinking it is ok and it will work out if I use the new spring that looks pretty anemic compared to the old one. I guess I need to decide whether or not to just keep the old parts going. Like I said in a previous post, the old lower bearing was de-rusted using vinegar and cleaned out using PB Blaster and WD-40. I then rinsed in acetone then I repacked the bearing using wheel bearing grease. Not sure if the new design isn't because it is better, or if it is cheap Chinese manufacturing...not sure why these parts can't just be reproduced like the old ones.

I also got the new know for the headlamp switch, but had to modify it. It wouldn't lock into the switch, so I looked at it and noticed that at the "pointy" end they didn't reduce the shift near the groove where it locks into place, I had to file that down by hand and it works as advertised now. The one in the background is the new one after I filed it.
Attached Images

68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote