View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
SCOTI

Re: Upper Control Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72malibu View Post
Useful info SCOTI, thanks.

Interesting to learn the truck geometry is different from the A-bodies.

I watched a video by Brothers showing removal/install of bushings. Looks like the key is cutting up some exhaust tubing to use as shims to prevent the arms from getting distorted when pressing bushings in and out.

Planning to install new rubber. I have delrin in the Malibu but the truck will be a stocker.
Correct. I use pieces of 1" angle cut to length to keep them from compressing when pressing in the new bushings/shells.

The A/G body Malibus have the upper a-arm mount/locating bracket on the top of the rail. C10's have them on the side of the rail.

Achieving NEG Camber on A-bodies requires adding shims which pushes the A-arm closer to the engine/exhaust.
Achieving NEG Camber on a C10 requires removing shims which brings the A-arm closer to the frame rail.

A/G bodies had a ~7.5" stock spindle height.
C10's had a ~9" stock spindle height.
For era comparison.... Stock F & B body 'tall' spindles were ~ 9". C4 Vettes were ~10+ (11"?).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote