View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #99
_Ogre

Re: Who Sells This Under Dash Valence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I did look through your thread and of course saw these pics and read your descriptions.

Actually, I think YOU can see all the pieces because you know they're there! I could clearly see the edge of the plywood but it hadn't occurred to me that you joined it to the long flat piece (with screws I guess?). I still don't quite "get" how the mailing tube is being used under that curved corner of the dash I guess because it's more tighter curved than the more gentle curve of the dash but I suppose if I bent it, back sliced it or maybe(?) moistened it, it would relax the tight curve. Yeah, moistening it is probably a no-no with resin/glass.

I suspect once I get all the pieces and start messing with them a way of joining it all will come to me. Good info on using smaller pieces of glass mat in tighter spaces. I suppose that's to elminate wrinkles?

I need to start thinking how the piece I make is just the thing the glass will cover and doesnt have to be EXACTLY the shape of the finished part on the back side as long as I make provisions for mounting it securely.

PS: The idea of glassing in place when I have finished paint IS scary to me. You're telling me you masked off anything you didn't want resin to get on, right? But newspaper would just absorb the resin so shouldn't I use a piece of thick plastic drop cloth? The tape holding the masking over the paint won't hold on freshly waxed paint will it? Or am I misunderstanding your use of the wax?
dan, i missed your questions when you posted this. i made a quick n dirty drawing
first i had tabs welded under my dash, for a different fascia design but i made them work. i think i had 5 tabs under the whole dash. you can probable bolt on tabs. for the plywood i have the endcap that i just shaped with a 60 grit disk on a right angle die grinder, my favorite tool. and then the fascia piece, it goes all the way from the end cap to my column cover and is glued and screwed in place. the i drilled a hole for the bolt head to recess into 3/8" plywood and hammered the head in. i rabbeted the bottom of the plywood to staple and super glue a quarter of the mailing tube. i have an upholstery stapler, all the staples were too long, i used the right angle die grinder to grind off the poke thru. easy peasy

on the glassing picture: the light areas are wood, dark is cardboard. as stated earlier the 2 pieces are connected into an L, the mailing tube staples into the rabbet on the bottom of the plywood. for the curved potion i just winged it. the bigger piece on top in inside face of the mailing tube, staple and super glued to each side of plywood. the small pieces on the bottom are pie cut and glued in, nothing fancy, don't over think it. super glue with the activator dries instantly, apply the glue, place the piece, add a little more glue and hit it with the activator. if it doesn't look right, tear it out, grind it off and redo it. at one time i had an ac eyeball vent in this side of the fascia, it wasn't looking right in the curve so i glassed over it. easy peasy

yes, i did all this glassing on finished paint. just tape up and wax what ever you don't want glass stuck to. i had cardboard under me, newspaper under that, newspaper taped all over truk. plastic might get eaten up if you drop resin on it. like i said, don't over think it. it's cardboard and plywood, if you don't like it, toss it and start over.
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote