View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #2099
Killer Bee

Re: ChevyLand ‘The Truck Photo Tour’

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Personally I like them and have them on my C30. But it’s not a fleet truck that is in constant use.
not bagging on your taste, they can look sharp if not tweaked or banged up and installed properly.. our E450 motorhome came with pacifics which are decent quality and look decent on the coach..

admittedly, I haven't yanked them off permanently yet but in the plans for this off season.. major holdup is finding time to dismount all 6 tires and take the wheels to primos in hb for powdercoating..

point is a lot of folks won't go through the extra trouble to avoid the issues I stated above.. after all the failures I've seen I know what to look for and until I'm ready to remove them for good I'm willing to take the extra steps.. for instance I reinforced my extensions where they don't stress the valve stem so much.. they're not attractive but my tp checks rarely require adjustment.. hub leaks, wet brakes, wheel cracks, etc. are less common but I remove and replace those dang things to inspect on my pre-trips anyway to avoid surprises - I hate surprises..

I also understand most of us are not engaged in commercial use of our trucks or rvs but observing those standards would probably save a lot headaches and accidents.. sudden loss of tp in one tire is bad enough but it's even more exciting when its overloaded companion heats up and lets go..

when traveling with my family several thousand miles in a 14k lb vehicle I'm inclined to be extremely cautious.. it makes for a lot more comfortable driving without worrying about that kind of stuff..

not trying to preach but the primary function of my profession is on road vehicle safety.. keep a sharp eye on things, especially those pesky valve extensions and you should be fine.. good luck!