View Single Post
Old 10-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #230
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

Next thing to do before I can get the frame off jack stands is install the front brakes. This will allow me to install the front wheels and tires. When I started unpacking everything for this step, I realized I couldn't find any information about the brake pads they sent me. I can only assume they are generic. I would feel much better if I installed front pads that I was confident matched the rear compound. So, I ordered new front pads.

For now, I will just install the rotors. This will still allow me to install the front wheels temporarily. That will get it off jack stands and enable me to do a few other things on the rear. The CPP front brake kit I bought came with raw iron rotors. I attempted to paint them black a while back, but I kept having issues getting the paint to stick. I ended up finding identical rotors that Performance Online offered except they were plated with Black Oxide. Obviously, I'm trying to prevent rust, so this was a much better option for me than paint that won't stick.

The bearings and seals that came with the kit were also unmarked. So, I bought replacement Timken bearings and seals. Quality parts just make me feel better.

I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease to pack the bearings and installed them in the rotor. Then I gently tapped the seals in place with a block of wood.
Than I installed the rotors and tightened the castle nuts to just hand tight.

Wheels are installed front and rear and just like that, it's sitting on the ground!!!

Last thing I wanted to do was stand the front wheels with a camber reading that is more representative of what it will be like when things are final. This will allow me to check the ride height now to make sure I'm not way far off. For camber shims, I wanted to find something cleaner and more like what you would find on a race car. I found this anodized aluminum set on EBAY from AfterDarkSpeed. They advertise them for a 73-87 C10 but I can tell you that they work just fine for 67-72. Once I installed them, I jounced the front end about 20 times. Then I measured to the floor from the core support mounts. Each side was within a 1/16" I'm very happy with this!!!

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 10-28-2022 at 09:40 PM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote