View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #241
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain X View Post
Apologies if you already went over this and I missed it, but I'm curious about the disc brake conversion you did here. Is this one of those kits which will move your wheels outward slightly, or are these new parts you were able to order and don't move the stock location of the wheels? I see the rear ones are like the newer ones Chevy had for a while, with a parking brake that was still a drum brake that used the disc rotor as the drum. Did you have to replace the entire axle to do this or were you able to use the original?
Hey Captain. I believe you are correct about the front kit. From what I read, this kit will more than likely move the front wheels out a bit. The newer kits, otherwise knows as modular, are suppose to keep that from happening. My issue with the modular kits is that it forces you to either convert to 5 lug and/or use a bigger wheel. In my case, I wanted to keep my 6-lug wheels, so this was the best route at the time. So, if there ends up being a noticeable difference in track width later, I will have to figure out some rear wheel spacers.

As for my rear setup, I did replace my axles. I didn't do it because of fitment though. I think the original axles would have worked just fine. I replaced mine with stronger axles that were the same dimensions as the ones I removed from the truck.

Hope this helps you out. Thanks for the interest.
Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote