View Single Post
Old 11-10-2022, 12:03 PM   #11
Beach-Burban

Re: Sanderson Header Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortnwide4x4 View Post
As a tech who has been in the trade for at least 25 years, i rarely use gaskets when installing a manifold on a vehicle. I actually have more issues with gaskets blowing out than silicone. Most headers do not have a thick mounting flange but it appears that sanderson does, if they recommend it i wouldn't hesitate doing it!
Thank you for sharing your experience...a whole lot of experience, I should say! Your approach regarding exhaust manifolds is the same as my mechanic buddy...and he has had his own shop for 35 years! The exhaust guy he set me up with has been in his trade for roughly 30 years, and agrees with the "no gasket for cast-iron exhaust manifold to cast-iron head approach in most cases, however, he is adamant about using gaskets on ALL headers...even Sanderson. If I go with gaskets, he will stand behind his work...if I insist on the Black Permatex and it fails, I get to hear the "I told you so"...but he'll still fix it for a price. I guess I'm overthinking this...bottom line is that I will have nice headers for a certain length of time and will cross that bridge if and when I get to it! Thanks again!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote