View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 12:49 AM   #8
nikwho

Re: Picked up another old pickup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That is a seriously nice truck.

Having the beauty rings lets you swap hubcaps for a "custom" look if you want to play custom truck for a day or event. Or even a set of custom wheels for a look and attitude change without actually changing the truck.

Right now if a nice original truck like that showed up in my life that I could drive and go places and have fun with I wouldn't change it, I would just drive it, have fun with it and go places at a slower pace.
Thanks! I agree. I'll have to look around for options to change up the look a bit, periodically. It has been an absolute riot to drive. It seems to slow my world down a tad. A definite time capsule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
SWEET! Definitely a solid candidate for leaving it largely untouched.

I think the only things I would do are:
sneak in a T-5 trans so I could drive it more places and have a 1st gear I can use!
a dual reservoir MC (lets be honest, I'd do power disc up front)
radial white walls
hard line PCV
relays for the headlights so they're brighter
and maybe an electric fuel pump circuit for easier starts.

This is pretty much my "Stage 1" for any stock truck. Basically nothing really noticeable besides the Radials...only the other truck nerds will spot em, and those are guys I want to impress!
I like it! I love the column shifted standard transmission so much, I don't thinknthat I could change it to a floor shifted transmission. If there was a four speed that could be column shifted and swapped easily, or perhaps an overdrive, that would be awesome! I could definitely go for front disc brakes! They leave a little to be desired, for sure.

The shocking thing is how great this thing runs! Even fires up immediately when cold. And it's so quiet. Rolling up to stop signs/lights, i jeep thinking that it stalled and I hit the vas to make sure that its still running, because I cannot hear it. My other trucks you cannot have a conversation it! I've been so focused on performance for so long. 1.75" primary tube headers, dual 3" mandrel bent exhaust, Dart Heads, bigger carbs, turbo's, etc, etc. I can't hear my thoughts in my '59 Apache. This ol girl is a breath of fresh air!

Nik