View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 11:25 AM   #24
JohnIL

Re: Sound Proofing/Deadening The Cab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket66 View Post
I've done all the things listed here, dynamat throughout including inside the doors and the back wall, insulation, carpet, the doors are sealed, and it's still loud at highway speed. These trucks are aerodynamic disasters, and the wind noise and road noise is just a fact of life. The windshield is almost straight up and down, and the roof in the front extends past the windshield. Try holding your hand on the roof at 70 mph and you can feel the vibration of the outer sheet metal wiggling. Not much you can do. On a long trip it can get to you a little. These trucks weren't designed to go much more than 50 mph. I think riding in the newer vehicles spoils us, as they are so quiet and the stereos are so good. Also, the only upholstry in the whole truck was the seat. Everything was metal. I love these trucks for their styling and everything else, but I don't think there is a solution for the noise.
RustBucket,
Thank you for joining the conversation. You're right about the shape of the truck. Great styling, lousy aerodynamics. You mentioned the roof vibration. Did you, by any chance, install Dynamat on the cab ceiling? I know these trucks don't have headliners, like a modern vehicle, but there are aftermarket headliners available. They cover the center section of the ceiling, probably 70% coverage. I'm wondering if a layer of Kilmat and a headliner would help with the roof noise? Thoughts?

Thanks.
John

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=838676
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote