View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 02:27 AM   #4
wazzabie

Re: 2001 dash cup holder retrofit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
It is a bolt in. The wt cup holder replaces the lower center panel completely - and bolts in. The 2 lower screws for the panel you’ll replace go back in to hold the new cup holder in, along with 2 other screws that were present but unrelated to the panel you’re replacing if I recall correctly. I added one to my Silverado - have 4 cup holders now, looks factory. Can’t have too many cup holders….

FWIW, I also bought an extra lower center panel and installed a cb mount on it - can swap out the cup holder for the cb mount and simply plug it in to the connection I left behind the dash in a matter of minutes. Can go back to completely original also in a matter of minutes if I choose to as I saved the original panel - no holes drilled in it.

3 options - stock/smooth, 2 additional cup holders, or cb.

A couple of cautions - the lower screw tabs in the panel you’ll be replacing are kinda dinky/fragile, be careful to not snap them off during removal if you intend to keep it. Also, the upper attach points for the panel you’ll be removing are “push-in” types of plastic catches when you install the panel (or when the factory did originally), but to remove it, I think the trick was to insert some thin sticks - think something like popsicle sticks or thin screwdrivers - on the outer edge of the top surface of the panel - then slide inward toward the center to get the plastic catches to release. It’s because of how they are shaped. If I was home I’d get a pic for you of one I have removed - but just be careful and you’ll find it a very simple swap.
I'm thinking about going the CB route and mounting the CB in front of the jump seat after I replace the original cup holder. I also read another upgrade is to replace the jump seat with a later year model that would have under seat storage. All that would be a nice upgrade.
wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote