View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 10:34 AM   #5
dsraven

Re: Unexpected disk brake - wheel problem

I have done both of the aforementioned things with new disc brakes or new wheels or both. the other thing I am curious about is whether you have the steering connected to the spindles. I ask because the next problem you may encounter is that the outer tie rods may rub the wheels on their back side. if the wheels are aluminum they tend to be thicker that the steel wheels, for strength, so those thicker wheels are sometimes just thick enough to interfere with the tie rod joint.
I usually try to set things up so I can use a wheel with some common size and back space, that way you can find some cheap wheels and tires to use when working on the vehicle. no worries about getting welding slag burnt in or oversprayed with paint or primer. since building doesn't usually happen in a week sometimes guys that buy new wheels and tires when they start the build find that by the time the project is complete those new wheels are out of vogue and the tires are outdated, so possibly need replacing. We all start with good intentions but then life gets in the way.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote