View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
TX3100Guy

Re: Unexpected disk brake - wheel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
Did you get the kit for 5 or 6 lug wheels? The 5 lug will have rotors off a 70's Camaro with a smaller diameter rotor than the 6 lug kit which uses parts originally for 16" wheels and a larger diameter rotor. Even though the 6 lug kit says can be used with 15" wheels it can be tight depending on the wheels like you have found out. I have a 6 lug kit and with the wheels I am going to use it will take some grinding on the calipers, a spacer and no wheel weights on the area where the caliper is near the wheel.
6 lug axle with 15 inch wheels. As I mentioned, the fronts are free and clear. The rear are binding on the outside rear edge of the caliper.

I just tried the spacer again and managed to get the lugs to catch by a thread or two. With the spacer and the gap that exists between the spacer and the chrome wheel due to its configuration (looks stamped) it adds about 5/16 of an inch, the caliper just clears, but not by much.

I need a quick study of offset versus backspace to determine what is needed to make this work. I'm tempted to try a 16 inch wheel, but that has a big financial penalty given I already own new 15 inch wheels and tires.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote