View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 01:57 AM   #24
dsraven

Re: 1955-59 Chevy 4x4 Power steering problems

are you saying the original pins come half wore out?
all season tires are for spring, summer and fall, not winter. the rubber is hard when it is below zero. after 28.5 years of emergency services work I can tell you that 90 percent of winter collisions are caused by poor tire choices, most of which boils down to being too cheap to buck up for the cost of wheels and actual winter tires. also the reason why intersections are shone up and icy-the all season guys spin the tires at max speed and make a skating rink on the corners and intersections
I run michelin Xice tires on the wife's "18 acura rdx and bridgestone blizzaks on my '15 silverado. the xice wins the grip competition. I run the silverado in auto 4x4 but the acura still wins the traction race. probably partly due to axle weights per tire being a llot different on a pickup. less pressure is a given for winter grip and I usually run the low end of the pressure range for winter.

just got rear ended this last sunday by a young fella who was running all season tires on a 2021 mercedes benz GLC. well, actually it was his momma's car, the reason why he didn't know where to find his 4 way flashers (or even what the switch might look like). also the reason why his vehicle registration (tags for those south of the border) was expired last july. I got out to see if he was ok and he was on his phone. duh, he was lost and had to call mommy for directions. he rolled the window down and I told him to put his 4 ways on, he didn't know where to find them and even asked me. I reached accross and turned them on. when he got out to talk he said his brakes didn't work. well, they work it's just that the all season tires don't when it's minus 25 celsius.
sorry, end of rant
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote