View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 11:07 PM   #256
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

I researched to see if anybody else had issue with these engine mounts when using with an LS swap. It took a while to find something, but I think I found the problem and the solution. These engine mounts are for a Gen I small block. I used these since I was trying to reuse my original small block engine stands. On a small block, there is not a flat surface to mount these to. So Energy Suspension provides a "preload plate" for the polyurethane to rest against. For an LS application, the preload plate becomes the LS adapter plate that I already have installed. The only issue I have is the pocket that was cut out of the center of the adapter. So, I cut a piece steel to fit inside the pocket, only it protruded the adapter surface by about 1/16". This will allow for some preload to the adapter which apparently the manufacturer thinks it needs. I bolted everything back up without the preload plates and tried again. This time I got within about 1/8". It was so close. I poked and prodded again and it didn't get any better. As a last ditch effort, I removed bottom and front bolts from the driver side engine stand and loosened the back one. This allowed me to bolt it to the engine mount without issue. Next, I put a ratchet strap around the base of the engine stand and the transmission crossmember. A couple rounds of the ratchet and the holes were lined up and the bolts dropped right in. I torqued the engine stand bolts to 30lb/ft with anti-seize. I couldn't be happier with how this turned out. The angles even line up really well. Another milestone accomplished and floor space gained!!

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 12-30-2022 at 08:57 PM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote